Parents as Teachers
Why enroll in Parents As Teachers?
- You are your child's first teacher and your home is your child's first classroom.
- Your baby will learn more during the early years than any other time in life.
- Parents As Teachers can help you lay a strong foundation for your child's future success in school.
- Parents As Teachers is offered at no cost to all interested parents in the district.
Benefits of Parents As Teachers:
A recent follow-up study indicates that the Parents As Teachers program produces lasting benefits for children and families.
- PAT children were significantly more advanced in language, problem solving and social development at age 3.
- PAT children had significantly higher scores on reading and math standardized tests than did children not participating in the program.
- Parents stay more involved in their child's education, both at school and at home.
- Parents are more confident in their parenting skills and knowledge.
Program Services ( All Services are provided FREE by Certified Parent Educators):
- Personal Visits: Marshfield R-1 Parent Educators, who are specially trained in child development, make personalized home visits.
- Group Connections: Group meetings provide a time to share child development information and parenting issues with parents and to enjoy learning activities with your child.
- Screenings: Developmental screening is offered to assess your child's overall development as well as health, hearing and vision.
- Referral Network: PAT helps link families to other community services.
For more information about Parents as Teachers please call Melynda Van Note at (417) 859-2120 Opt. 9007, Loriell Biggs at (417) 859-2120 Opt. 4704 or Amy Wolff (417) 859-2120 Opt. 4705.